Thursday

true confessions

Sigh. It has come time to make a confession. It's a secret that only those who know me well know. But now I will share it with all of you.

I am a Legos addict.

I can't pinpoint when I became an addict, but I do know it's genetic. Or at least I know that I can blame my parents generally and my dad specifically. For as long as I can remember, we've received Legos for Christmas. That's just the way it is and has been and, as far as I'm concerned, always will be.

At this point in time in my life, I have most of the Hogwarts castle (which also ties into my Harry Potter obsession). I also have the Shriek Shack and the Dursleys' house and the Knight Bus and the Hogwarts Express. I have multiple Star Wars ships. I have a five-gallon Legos bucket.

And now, to make my obsession complete, I have a Legos Christmas tree. This is only Phase One of the Legos tree. I need more sets so that I don't have to use quite so many shiny ornaments, which I feel distract from the overall Lego feel. And next year, my objective is to make the garland out of Legomen. I intend to wire their hands together ala Hands Across America. It'll be great.

In the meantime, I share pictures.



4 comments:

B.G. Christensen said...

Wow. Quite impressive, my friend. I must admit, I was hoping the actual tree would be made of Lego, but I suppose the decorations are a start. :)

From 9 or 10 to 14 or 15, I was unhealthily obsessed with Legos. I had a 4x10 table set up in my bedroom with a Legotown built on it. At Christmastime I bought spray-on tree flocking so as to winterize my town. (Unfortunately, it didn't wash off very well in the Spring.) I had dreams of owning a house someday with rooms for each of my desired Lego setups--one for modern Legotown, one for the medieval village, one for the pirates at sea, one for space, etc. I spent hours looking at Lego catalogs and planning what I'd buy when Ed McMahon showed up at my doorstep with that million dollars I was going to win.

Had I not transferred my unhealthy obsession to comic books, I would likely have a Lego Christmas tree up right now. I still might someday, now that I've seen how cool yours is. I was excited for my daughter to be almost old enough to play with Duplos, so we could buy some for her so I could play with them. I'm even more excited for her to be almost old enough to play with real Legos.

In other words, you have managed to become even cooler with this post.

Anonymous said...

Edgy- I love your LEGO Christmas tree, though I too thought it was going to be a tree made entirely from LEGOS. Maybe next year? My mother has a little tiny tree made from LEGOS, it's very cute. The LEGO man garland is a fantastic idea!

I will admit also that for a short while as a teenager I had a deep love for LEGOS, especially STAR WARS themed LEGOS. I still have a bucket of LEGOS somewhere at my parents house, maybe I should get them and try making some of your LEGO ornaments for my own tree.

Erin aka- absent-minded secretary said...

Maybe you should only ask for green Legos for Christmas this year so you can build a tree. ;)

Desmama said...

I'll admit I did not know this about you, which makes me sad. I guess if I don't know you by now, I will never ever ever know you . . .