Though I read the Weekly Geek challenges, I seldom do them. However, I think this is one worth doing. Even though I'm doing it a week late.
Anyway, for Weekly Geek #19, the challenge is as follows:
1. Compile your list of favorites. Please be sure that books you choose actually were published in 2008, or at the very earliest in the winter holiday season of 2007. Sometimes books that come out then are left out.
2. Come back and sign Mr Linky with the url to your top books of 2008 post.
3. If you happen to see any non-WG bloggers making similar lists, please grab the url and come put it in Mr Linky for them. Let them know you’re doing that, please, in case they have some sort of objection; if they do, they can ask me to remove their link. I’ve already seen a couple favorites of 2008 posts, which is another reason I wanted to get started early.
4. Feel free to make changes to your list if you read something new in the next few weeks. After about October 25, I can’t guarantee your changes will be reflected in the master list. We’ll probably start compiling lists around then.
5. Please consider whether you’d like to help me compile lists.
That said, here is the list of books I've enjoyed so far that were published this year. Bear in mind that I fully anticipate this list changing as I'm just about to break open Inkdeath and I have on order Mothstorm and Paper Towns.
2008 Top Ten (thus far and not necessarily in order but likely close)
- How They Met by David Levithan
- The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry
- Unwind by Neal Shusterman
- Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan
- Wrath of the Bloodeye by Joseph Delaney
- My Most Excellent Year by Steve Kluger
- Suck It Up by Brian Meehl
- Savvy by Ingrid Law
- Vintage by Steve Berman
- Attack of the Fiend by Joseph Delaney
Oh. And in case you're interested, Weekly Geek #20 is your opportunity to do the same thing. And you might even be able to get loot from it, if I'm reading the guidelines correctly.
1. Please post about the project in your blog, asking your readers to make their own lists. Please refer them to Weekly Geeks #19 for the details.
2. You can tell your readers that next week I’ll be giving away another box of 11 books from Hachette. ONLY bloggers who have made a top books of 2008 list will be eligible to enter. That means you, too, of course! By the way, I also have two other giveaways going on right now, one that’s open until the 6th and one that’s open until the 8th. Just in case you want to enter those.
3. Your readers who make lists should go back to Weekly Geeks #19 to leave their urls in the Mr Linky by October 11th. I’m not even going to put a Mr Linky in today’s post just because I don’t want the urls left in more than one place. That might confuse me and my wonderful helpers, Renay and Jackie. The url in the WG #19 post counts as an entry for the Hachette box of books, so if you already left your url there, you’re all set.
4. Every time one of your readers leaves a comment on the Weekly Geeks #19 post saying they heard about the top books of 2008 project from you, you get a bonus entry in the drawing.