Sunday

The Tales of Beedle the Bard

The Tales of Beedle the Bard
by J. K. Rowling
MG fantasy. 111 pp.
Levine. 2008.

back copy:

The Tales of Beedle the Bard, a Wizarding classic, first came to Muggle readers' attention in the book known as Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Now, thanks to Hermione Granger's new translation from the ancient runes, we present this stunning edition with an introduction, notes, and illustrations by J. K. Rowling, and extensive commentary by Albus Dumbledore. Never before have Muggles been privy to these richly imaginative tales: "The Wizard and the Hopping Pot," "The Fountain of Fair Fortune," "The Warlock's Hairy Heart," "Babbitty Rabitty and Her Cackling Stump," and of course, "The Tale of the Three Brothers." But not only are they the equal of fairy tales we now know and love, reading them gives new insight into the world of Harry Potter.

I'm glad that Rowling is not letting the Harry Potter universe fade away. As I've noted before, I'm not overly fond of Harry himself, but I do like the universe in which he exists. So I'm glad we get some of the fairy tales that form the core of that universe. I'm pleased that we get Dumbledore's commentary with them; he's so much more likable than Harry.

The illustrations are the primary drawback I see to these books; I so very much prefer Mary GrandPré's style to Rowling's. (And can anyone explain the actual anatomy of the horse on page 70? I mean, is his leg supposed to be an extension of his neck? It's a minor thing, but it troubles me.)

1 comment:

Cricket said...

I am just about to read this myself (before I wrap it up for Miss R for Christmas, LOL). Though our tastes vary quite a bit- I'm glad you liked it and I'm more interested to read it now.

And that horse is jacked up...