Thursday

hateful tasks

I have discovered that the more I don't want to do a task, the more frequently I check my e-mail. You just never know if that life-changing e-mail has arrived since you last checked your e-mail five minutes ago.

Blogs are even worse. I internet browse in Safari on my Mac at home and in Firefox on my PC at work. That means I can browse in tabs instead of always opening new windows. That means that I can go to the Open in Tabs button and open all my bookmarked blogs at once. I've done this six times today already and will likely do it once more.

But I only do this because surely other people's lives are more important than the manuscripts I'm working on. It's always crucial that I watch for Master Fob's latest brilliant post (okay, he seldom posts when I'm at work because he, unlike me, works while he's at work) or for Th.'s afternoon post (which I really look forward to) or for Miss Nemesis to post something (because she's usually in England and they're hours off from me).

Anyway, I just tell you this so that if you notice that you get lots of pings on your blog patrol counter, it means that you're popular. Or I don't want to be working. But most likely you're popular.

13 comments:

B.G. Christensen said...

Check your email! That life-changing email just arrived!

B.G. Christensen said...

And you overestimate my work ethic.

Erin aka- absent-minded secretary said...

I am completely heartbroken that you don't consider my blogs "crucial posts." Sigh. I wonder if I will be able to feast tonight since the disappointment is pressing so heavily on my soul. ;)

Th. said...

.

Not to worry absent--a compliment from Edgy is worth more than a slight, so in the end, we're ahead.

Th. said...

.

And hey, you editors, be kind to that last post.

Tolkien Boy said...

My friend has a word for doing small, pointless things in order to avoid doing large things: spouncing (from a spouncer, which is used to touch-up paintings). I find it a very useful word.

Blogs are kind of spouncing activities for me, but I sometimes treat them like big activities, where I go through and catch up on everything I've been missing.

Th. said...

.

Spouncing....

I've been trying to remember that word. Thank you.

B.G. Christensen said...

Ahem. Alphabiography?

Christian said...

*sigh* I know. Will do. (I have mentally composed portions of it, but unfortunately, whereas I have chosen the subject for the letter a, that is not one of the letters I have mentally composed.

Erin aka- absent-minded secretary said...

Yeah, don't get all perfectionisty on us.

Th. said...

.

Oh, so you're insistent on the alphabet being alphabetical, eh? Terrific. One of those.....

Nemesis said...

I must thank you for your lovely and undeserved compliment, and apologize for being total crap and taking so long to see it! ;-)

Christian said...

Undeserved, my foot. Of course it was deserved. And you've been busy.