Wednesday

A Giant Problem

Beyond the Spiderwick Chronicles: A Giant Problem
by Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black
MG fantasy. 154 pp.
Simon & Schuster. 2008.

back copy:

Talk about out of the frying pan, into the fire! I was pretty sure that my freaky stepsister and that freaky field guide of hers would ruin my life. But now it looks like they're going to ruin all of Florida, too! Okay maybe that's not fair. Maybe all these STUPID GIANTS would be waking up anyway, but if it wasn't for her and that book, I'd be home playing video games and this would be someone else's GIANT PROBLEM!
I confess that I wish I hadn't picked up the first book in this series as I feel compelled to complete the series. They should have left well enough alone with the first series. Fortunately, this second book is paced much better without the self-referential crap of the first one. I'm even starting to like the protagonist. Even better, it looks like this series is only going to be a trilogy instead of a pentology.

Other review:
The Trades

1 comment:

Swanky Mommy said...

I have now officially stalked you, although I really have no comment on this particular book. I am not the biggest Spiderwick fan, meaning that I actually didn't read it. I am in the throws of Chapter 6 though (of 10 chapter . . . duh da da dahhhh) of which the brobro (can't remember his screen name) has responded to . . . the intro. It's not ready for you. It's without Chicago style, it's probably grammatically horrible, and, as usual, I am horribly self-conscious about ANYTHING I write. If you are bored and want a peek this early in the process let me know, but I'm scared you'll kill it. But as we've learned, better now than later on. Really, this should be an e-mail rather than a blog post. Consider yourself stalked. hahahahaha